Join our university - as soon as possible, full-time and temporary until 31.12.2026 position as
Research Associate & Team Leader – Edge Computing Platform Development
Faculty of Computer Science
(Salary level: 13 TV-L)
Today, edge computing is one of the most exciting areas in the computer and network industry. Together with leading industry partners project EMULATE will develop an innovative toolset to improve the performance for demanding edge applications (e.g., autonomous driving, augmented reality, drone control).
Your future field of work:
- Leading a small team of software engineers and developers
- Driving the software development process from requirements analysis and software architecture to implementation and test
- Delivering an edge diagnostics platform / toolset to measure, analyse and optimize the performance of edge applications
- Identifying your own research areas in alignment with the project objectives and constraints
- Creating scientific publications on edge research for conferences and journals
- Working in an excellent lab environment (e.g. 5G campus network, high-performance server cluster)
- Working in a interdiciplinary, international team of IT, network and application experts
You are passionate about computer science or related subject matter areas with a high affinity to research. You hold a master degree in information technology or computer science or an adjacent field. Ideally you have already demonstrated your passion for what you do with some professional experience.
Your area of qualifications and expertise includes some of the following:
- Software engineering and software architecture knowledge and experience
- Software development and test experience (object oriented languages)
- Basic knowledge about virtualization-, container- and orchestration technologies
- Basic knowledge about networking technologies
- Willingness to learn about edge computing, system performance optimization, 5G / 6G technologies and applied artificial intelligence
- A good level of written and spoken English is mandatory for this position, German language skills are not required.
For more details about projekt EMULATE refer to: https://www.fh-dortmund.de/en/projekte/emulate.php
We are looking forward to applications by an open-minded, inquisitive and committed person with a sense for the essential and thinking outside of the box.
As an employer, Fachhochschule Dortmund...
- offers - the advantages of working in public service, in particular employment under the Collective Agreement for Public Service of the Federal States (TV-L).
- promotes - the application of the latest scientific findings and the ongoing development through an extensive range of further education and training opportunities.
- focusses - on family and health by providing flexible work-/part-time solutions, telework/home office as well as offers by the Family Service and Health Management.
- provides - a modern university environment characterized by unique campus locations and good accessibility in the middle of the vibrant Ruhr Metropolis Dortmund.
We encourage applications of qualified persons with severe disabilities and persons with disabilities with equivalent status in accordance with section 2 of the German Social Security Code (SGB) IX. We are also aiming to increase the proportion of women at our university and therefore particularly welcome applications from female candidates. This position is also suitable for part-time employment.